The following guide is based on items which we expect a tenant to attend to on vacating a property. It is therefore appropriate that these items are in good condition at the commencement of the tenancy.
Inside the property
- Walls | Clean off any dirty marks, removable scuff marks, finger or food marks etc.
- Ceilings | Remove any cobwebs and fly dirt.
- Ceiling mould | Clean off, particularly in wet areas and sometimes in bedrooms.
- Light fittings | Clean off dust and remove any dead insects inside.
- Ceiling fans | Wipe fan blades and top of fittings to remove dust build up.
- Skirtings | Wipe down with a damp cloth.
- Doorways and doors | Wipe off finger marks and any other removable marks.
- Windows | Clean inside and out. Also clean the sills and runners of dust and any dead insects – a vacuum cleaner and paint brush can really help.
- Stoves | Clean stove top, control display, knobs, panels around knobs, any pull out or in-built drip trays, griller racks, trays and any inserts, oven racks, trays and oven bottom, walls and oven roof.
- Kitchen rangehood | Clean pull out filters and framework.
- Bathroom | Clean sink, mirror, cabinet, vanity unit and drawers, shower, screen doors, bath and wall tiles. Please ensure both the sink and the bath has a plug available.
- Toilet | Clean seat, bowl inside and also outside around the base.
- Laundry | Clean both the inside and outside of the tub, and underneath. Please ensure a plug is present.
- Heat pumps | Front vents and filters cleaned.
- Cupboards and drawers | Clean inside and out including the front and back of the doors and the door frames.
- Smoke alarms | Please ensure that new batteries are present and the unit is in working order.
- Curtains | Wash any washable curtains and netting. If other curtains are visibly dusty or dirty, consider dry cleaning or vacuum.
- Blinds | If you have venetian blinds, clean off the blind slats. Any other type of blinds should be able to be wiped down.
- Floors | Mop the floors ensuring corners and hard to get areas are also cleaned.
- Carpets | We require your carpets to be professionally cleaned prior to your new tenancy. Phone us for details of who we recommend.
- Chattels | If your property is partly or fully furnished please supply a full list of chattels.
Outside the property
- Lawns | Freshly mowed and edged. Best done a couple of days before the tenant takes possession.
- Gardens | Remove any weeds, rubbish and built up leaves etc.
- Rubbish | Remove any rubbish that you have placed at the property. Be sure to check behind sheds, shrubs and trees. This includes piled lawn clippings and compost.
- Paths and paving areas | Sweep. This is best done before a tenant takes possession.
- Oil spills | Check and clean carport and garage floors, paths and driveway. If you have used a barbeque, check for any grease spots and spillages etc.
- Cigarette butts | If there are cigarette butts lying around, please pick up and remove.
- Pet droppings | Please remove from gardens, lawns and any out of the way areas. Please dispose of them, do not bury them.
- Ensure all windows have appropriate security stays installed.
- Tenant awareness of the value in having a ventilation system and/or insulation installed is common place. We encourage property owners to make modifications, that will satisfy this expectation.